- Highly skilled instructional designer, communicator, and problem solver.
- Experience in a variety of industries: utilities, defense, technology, professional services, news, and book publishing.
- Experience in a variety of roles: curriculum developer, technical writer, technical trainer, system developer, public affairs officer, newspaper editor, and news/book copy editor.
- Customer/user focus.
- Curiosity and imagination.
- Ability to:
- Think critically and objectively.
- Learn new skills independently.
- Communicate clearly and precisely.
- Help clients select effective courses of action.
- Build strong working relationships.
- Articulate Storyline.
- Microsoft SharePoint – Web interface (client side) and SharePoint Designer.
- Microsoft Access, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Adobe Acrobat Professional, Captivate, InDesign, and Photoshop.
- TechSmith SnagIt and Camtasia Studio.
Mosaic, supporting Pacific Gas & Electric Co.
August 2015 – Present
Developed curriculum for gas operations training while helping improve collaboration tools and methods.
- Served as technical lead for a web-based portal that delivers instructional content on demand.
- Served as primary designer on a revision project spanning eight courses and five knowledge assessments.
- Supported the roll-out of a new handheld device by rapidly incorporating new-user training for the device into existing curriculum.
- Served on the department’s learning technology committee as a team representative.
Truestone, LLC, serving the U.S. Coast Guard Force Readiness Command
March 2010 – August 2015
Created, supported, and documented a SharePoint-based system for developing and publishing operational knowledge.
- Designed and built a robust SharePoint collaboration environment to enable knowledge gap analysis, knowledge creation and validation, and publishing.
- Pared down the out-of-the-box SharePoint UI to reduce ‘option fatigue’ and steer users toward relevant activities.
- Modeled and refined the client’s business processes.
- Helped the client convey its mission, vision, and value propositions to stakeholders by refining terminology and co-authoring foundational documents.
Truestone, LLC, serving the U.S. Coast Guard Force Readiness Command
March 2009 – March 2010
Analyzed dozens of legacy publications to help the client prepare for a major overhaul of its publishing methods.
- Consulted with client representatives to gain clarity on requirements and deliverables.
- Helped identify best practices for content analysis.
- Developed and conducted a successful mid-project ‘alignment session’ with the client team. (Received a commendation letter and a bonus for this work.)
- Helped develop a streamlined process for analyzing content from legacy publications.
Technical Curriculum Developer
Robert Half International
November 2007 – February 2009
Hired to develop content; became a content management coach, a system administrator for two systems, a researcher of new technologies, and a problem solver.
- Coached content authors on effective content management strategies.
- Received two nominations for the company’s Circle of Excellence award.
- Developed a method for migrating large amounts of legacy content to a new content management system, saving hundreds of hours of work for the supported team.
- Initiated configuration changes in the company’s applicant tracking system to dramatically improve EEO compliance reporting and save time for users and job seekers.
- Piloted the use of Adobe Captivate for producing simulation-based training.
June 2005 – November 2007
Advanced the military community’s understanding and acceptance of computer-based speech translation.
- Managed all customer-facing communications for the government market.
- Wrote proposal abstracts, white papers, creative briefs, web content, brochure copy, press releases, and product fact sheets.
- Edited and contributed to proposals, business plans, research papers, and articles.
- Demonstrated and explained systems’ complex capabilities to audiences with varying levels of technical expertise.
- Communicated requirements to engineering, linguistics, and research departments.
- Dramatically increased the suitability of translation systems for military applications.
- Co-authored a paper detailing the company’s novel, multi-engine approach to speech translation.
Intelligence Training Officer
Western Army Reserve Intelligence Support Center
January 2003 – June 2005
Managed intelligence training while helping expand the national virtual document translation effort.
- Tracked and managed intelligence training requirements for unit staff and facility tenants.
- Led a mobile team that provided training in human intelligence, counterintelligence, and analysis to military units throughout the Western United States.
- Coordinated for language-qualified personnel to participate virtually in a national-level document translation work flow in support of the Global War on Terror.
- Created a secure online repository where translation system content could be shared.
302nd Mobile Public Affairs Detachment
April 2002 – December 2002
Before and during deployment, helped a team of military journalists develop and excel.
- Supervised seven print journalists and four broadcast journalists in production of internal communications products.
- Provided the final edit on all print and broadcast copy.
- Wrote press releases and articles.
- Spoke on behalf of the brigade in press briefings and radio and television interviews.
- Led the conversion of the brigade’s command information publication from newspaper format to magazine format.
- Helped advance an innovative ‘information targeting’ model, which applied artillery concepts and terminology to communication activities.
- Facilitated coverage by more than 50 civilian media representatives of a capabilities demonstration involving Apache attack helicopters and more than 200 paratroopers.
Full-Time Editorial Work
February 1997 – April 2002
Learned the fine arts of news value judgment, story development, line editing, headline writing, page design, and editorial staff management — through a battery of accelerated on-the-job training experiences.
- The Sun, San Bernardino, Calif.: Community Editor, Copy Editor, Weekend Wire Editor.
- Village News Inc., Fallbrook, Calif.: Founding Editor, Temecula Valley News.
- Community Publications Group, Sun City, Calif.: Editor.
- com, Carlsbad, Calif.: Content Editor.
- Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, Ontario, Calif.: Entertainment Reporter, Copy Editor.
Active and Reserve Military Service
January 1989 – August 2000
- 302nd Mobile Public Affairs Detachment, Bell, Calif.: Executive Officer.
- 1st Infantry Division, Würzburg, Germany: Intelligence Officer; Public Affairs Officer.
- 24th Infantry Division, Fort Stewart, Ga.: Intelligence Collection Specialist.
- Excelsior College: Bachelor of Science, Liberal Arts – Emphasis in Middle Eastern Studies.
- Kent State University: Coursework in Information Architecture and Knowledge Management.
- University of California, Davis: Coursework in Business Analysis.